When depositing items in UVicSpace, a non-exclusive distribution license agreement appears in the submission template. This grants UVicSpace the right to distribute scholarly works online and to migrate them to new formats in the future if necessary.
Authors must agree to the terms of this license to complete the submission by clicking the "I Grant the License" button. If someone deposits items on an author's behalf, the proxy will grant the license and the author will be bound to the terms.
Here is the license as it appears in the submission template
There is one last step: In order for UVicSpace to reproduce, translate and distribute your submission worldwide, you must agree to the following terms.
Grant the UVic non-exclusive distribution license by selecting 'I Grant the License'; and then click 'Complete Submission'. If you have questions regarding this license please contact the UVic Copyright Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
UVic non-exclusive distribution license
In consideration of the University of Victoria (“UVic”) agreeing to store my submission and facilitate access to the submission by others, I (the author(s), copyright owner(s) or designated proxy submitting on behalf of the author(s) or copyright owner(s):
1. I hereby grant to UVic, a non-exclusive, royalty-free license for the full term of copyright protection to reproduce, copy, store, archive, translate (as defined below), and/or distribute my submission (including the abstract) worldwide in any form or medium, including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, electronic, digital or analogous means now or hereafter known, through the Internet or any other telecommunication device or system.
2. I agree that UVic may, without changing the content, translate the submission to any medium or format for the purpose of preservation.
3. I agree that UVic may keep more than one copy of the submission for purposes of security, back-up and preservation.
4. I represent that the submission is my original work, and that I have the right to grant the rights contained in this license. I also represent that my submission does not, to the best of my knowledge after appropriate inquiry, infringe upon anyone's copyright. If the submission contains third party material, such third-party material is clearly identified and acknowledged within the text or content of the submission, and the use of such material complies with the fair dealing provisions of the Copyright Act (Canada) or I have obtained the unrestricted permission of the copyright owner to include the material in my submission and to grant UVic the rights required by this license.
5. I understand that UVic will not use the submission for any commercial purpose and will ensure that any version of the submission in its possession or distributed by it will properly name me as author of the submission. UVic will further acknowledge my copyright in the submission and will state that any third party recipient of this submission is not authorized to use it for any commercial purpose or to further distribute or to alter the submission in any way without my express permission. I agree that UVic is not responsible for any misuse of the submission by third parties who access the submission through UVic's facilities.
6. I retain copyright ownership and moral rights in the submission and I may deal with the copyright in the submission in any way consistent with the terms of this license.
7. I agree that UVic may, in its sole discretion, refuse to distribute the submission. UVic will use its reasonable best efforts to notify me of such a decision.
8. I will inform any person to whom I may hereafter assign or license my copyright in the submission of the rights granted by me to UVic in this license.
9. IF THE SUBMISSION IS BASED UPON WORK THAT HAS BEEN SPONSORED OR SUPPORTED BY AN AGENCY OR ORGANIZATION OTHER THAN UVIC, I REPRESENT THAT I HAVE FULFILLED ANY RIGHT OF REVIEW OR OTHER OBLIGATIONS REQUIRED BY SUCH CONTRACT OR AGREEMENT.
I agree to the terms of the UVic Non-exclusive Distribution Licence and grant the license described herein
Creative Commons licenses are web-based agreements whereby authors can release some of the rights they are automatically assigned by copyright law. If the creator is the copyright owner, he or she can specify conditions under which others can copy, distribute, and modify his or her work provided others give due credit. When submitting an item to UVicSpace, users have the option to apply a Creative Commons license that will:
The form is preconfigured to generate a license that is specific to the Canadian jurisdiction of law. It is important to note that one can apply a Creative Commons license only if he or she is the copyright holder or has express authorization from the copyright holder to do so. Neither UVic Libraries nor Creative Commons provide legal advice or services.