BIOL 184 Reading, Researching, and Referencing Scientific Literature Assignment - Fall 2022
Web of Science & EndNote Online Registration Steps:
The Libraries worked with the Web of Science/EndNote Online vendor in September 2022 to understand why some students were unable to access the Biological Bulletin in EndNote Online. Please follow the steps noted below. You have to register with the Web of Science while on campus.
This is the Vendor’s recommended way to register with WoS/Endnote Online.
[WoS = Web of Science]
- To register with WoS/EndNote Online, it is important to be within the UVic networking environment.
- The recommended approach is to register with WoS, from the Libraries Databases page, and while on campus [and without VPN turned on].
- When on campus, students can register with WoS with a personal email address, or, their UVic email address [with a distinct WoS pswd they create for themselves].
- Once registered with WOS from on campus, students can then:
- Access WOS from off campus via VPN.
- Authenticating with VPN is best done with the student’s UVic Netlink ID and pswd.
- Then the student goes to the Libraries website to access WoS from the Libraries Databases page, and further UVic Netlink ID authentication is not required.
- Go directly to the Libraries website to access WoS from the Libraries Databases page and authenticate [via EZproxy] when prompted.
- Authenticating with EZproxy is best done with the student’s UVic Netlink ID and pswd.
BACKGROUND NOTE : It seems the problem of not being able to connect to the Biological Bulletin style in Endnote Online, is related to the fact that a student may have originally registered with the Web of Science, or perhaps directly with EndNote Online, when they were off campus and ended up registering with the free version of EndNote Online. The student needs to be registered with the licensed version of EndNote Online that is part of the Libraries Web of Science database license to be able to access the Biological Bulletin style.
If the steps at WOS Registration Steps [listed above] do not work, the student may have to take this path:
- Cancel their existing Web of Science/EndNote registration and start again following the WOS Registration Steps [listed below] that involve using their UVic Netlink ID from on campus. It may take a while for the cancellation to be activated, so in the meantime, if a student is running out of time:
- The student can still use EndNote to generate a list of references using one of the styles available in the free version of EndNote Online. Then cut and paste into a Word document. By looking at the referencing examples listed at this web link, the student can then manually correct the references accordingly. The web link takes you to the” Biological Bulletin Style Guide” that is in the BIOL 184 Lab Manual: https://libguides.uvic.ca/ld.php?content_id=36486077. Scroll down that Guide to see the examples of how to reference.
Off campus? Connect to the Libraries website and resources from off-campus
The UVic Libraries subscribes to a variety of web-based resources (i.e. databases, e-journals, e-texts, etc.) that are licensed for the exclusive use of current UVic students, staff and faculty. You must have a current NetLink ID and password to access these resources from off campus. Visit the Connect from off-campus web page for details.
NOTE: BIOL 184 students may need to be within the VPN client when using EndNote Online from off campus and accessing the Biological Bulletin listed as a Bibliographic Style from within EndNote Online.
BIOL 184 Annotated Bibliography Assignment - Fall 2022
Assignment details forthcoming.